The University of Scranton is a private, co-educational Catholic and Jesuit university, located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States, in the northeast region of the state. The school was founded in 1888 by Most Rev. William O'Hara, the first Bishop of Scranton, as St. Thomas College. It was elevated to university status in 1938, taking the name the University of Scranton. The institution was operated by the Diocese of Scranton, and later the Lasallian Christian Brothers, from 1888 to 1942. In 1942, Bishop William Joseph Hafey invited the Society of Jesus to take charge of the university. Today, The University of Scranton is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities and is served by the Scranton Jesuit Community.
The university is composed of four colleges: The College of Arts and Sciences, The Kania School of Management, The Panuska College of Professional Studies, and The College of Graduate and Continuing Education.